Welcome to Musing, a service provided by Musing AB (“Musing”, “we”, “our”, “us”).
Our Privacy Principles
Information We May Collect
All the personal information we collect is related to providing the Platform and its features and falls into three general categories:
• Information you provide to us
• Information collected automatically
• Information we obtain from third parties
Information You Provide
We ask for and collect the below personal information when you use the Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations.
We process this information in light of our legitimate interest in improving the Platform and giving our users the best experience, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between us and you. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services and features of the Platform.
When you register for a Musing account in order to visit or use our Platform, certain Services require you to provide us with certain information:
• Account Information - When you register any kind of Musing account, you will need to provide your email address (except when you sign-up with Facebook or Google and don’t give your permission to share it with Musing), your age, and choose a password. In addition, if you purchase a Subscription, you might also need to provide your real name, billing address, and payment verification information.
• Profile Information - you may choose, at your discretion, to provide additional information for your public profile on Musing® – for example:
• your real name
• a user name (which may be your real name or a pseudonym)
• the city and country in which you live
• a profile picture, profile header image or avatar
• information about how you categorize yourself with respect to your content (for example, whether you are a musician, a event arranger or some other category of creator)
• details of your other websites and social media profiles, including links to those pages
• your gender if you wish to provide it
• any additional information you provide as part of your public profile, such as your real name, and links to your website and other social media profiles (but not your email address), may be published on your profile page. This information will be publicly accessible and may be viewed by anyone accessing the Website, or using our API or other Services. Please bear this in mind when considering whether to provide any additional information about yourself
• Communications - When you communicate with Musing by email or through the Platform, or use the Platform to communicate with other users, we may collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
• Survey Information - If you participate in any survey, you may provide certain personal data as part of your response, unless you respond anonymously.
• Information You Post - You may provide personal data when you upload audio files to the Platform, or when you post comments, or contribute to community discussions.
Information We May Collect Automatically
• Usage Information - We collect information about your interactions with the Platform, including the pages that you visit and links you click on, streaming, offline listening or downloading tracks, uploading or recording tracks, connecting your Facebook or Google+ account, sharing a sound with another user, following or unfollowing another user, joining or leaving a group, posting a comment, performing a search, the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform, and whether you interact with email messages, for example, if you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message.
• Log Data – We may automatically collect log information when you use the Platform, even if you have not registered for an account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Platform (including links to third party sites or services), Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, your browser type and operating system, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Platform.
• Location Data – When you use certain features of the Platform, we may collect data about your general location (e.g. IP address). We may use this data to provide you with location-based services (such as advertising and personalized content). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings.
• Device Information – We may collect information from and about the devices you use, including how you interact with the Platform and information about device itself, such as the hardware model, operating system, IP addresses, cookie information, device settings, mobile device and advertising identifiers, apps installed, browser type, language, battery level and time zone. Apple’s iOS Advertising Identifier (IDFA) and Google’s Android Advertising ID are examples of device identifiers. This information may allow us to recognize and associate your activity, and provide personalized content and advertising, consistently across all of your devices.
• Software Development Kits – We may use third parties including our business partners and service providers who use mobile SDKs to collect information and information related to how mobile devices interact with the Platform. An SDK is computer code that app developers can include in their apps to enable ads to be shown, data to be collected and related services and functionality to be implemented. A mobile SDK is in effect the mobile app version of a pixel tag or beacon. We may use this technology, for instance, to analyze how you interact with content and advertisements and to enable analytics or other features through mobile devices.
• Musing Widget – Other websites may integrate Musing widgets; when you visit a website with a Musing widget embedded, we may receive certain information, including information about the website you visited. Musing and the widget may be able to recognize you, and in some cases the widget may be used to show personalized content. We may know when you interact with a widget, and websites containing the widgets may receive this information as well.
Information From Third Parties
• Single-Sign Ons – If you sign up for Musing through a third party application like Facebook or Google, you authorize us to collect your authentication information, such as your username and encrypted access credentials, and other information available through the third party application account, including the following information:
• Service Providers and Business Partners – We may also receive information about you from our service providers and business partners, including companies that assist with payment processing, analytics, data processing and management (e.g. to measure ad quality and responses to ads, and to display ads that are more likely to be relevant to you, including for Musing products) account management, hosting, customer and technical support, and other services which we use to personalize your Musing experience. We explain in more detail why and how we use this information below.
How We May Use Your Information
We may use the personal information we collect from you, including with the help of automated systems and decision making, for a range of different business purposes according to different legal bases of processing and subject to the choices you may make in your Settings.
• Provide, Improve, and Develop the Platform
• To operate and maintain your Musing account, and to provide you with access to and use of the Platform. Your email address and password may be used to identify you when you log into the Platform. Your device-IDs may be used to ensure that you are in control of the devices that have access to your Subscription.
• To identify you as the creator of the audio files that you upload, the comments that you post and/or the other contributions that you make to the Platform.
• To provide creators with stats and insights about users’ listening behavior of their audio files, (i.e. streaming and downloading their audio files or following their profiles).
• We may conduct surveys and research, test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
• If you purchase a Subscription, your name, address and payment verification information may be used to process your account subscription and renewals and to collect your payment. All payment verification information is transmitted using industry-standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption.
• Your email may be used to send you service updates and notifications about your account.
• To respond to you about any comment or enquiry you have submitted.
• We may use your age to enable age restrictions.
• Maintain a Safe and Secure Environment
• Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other suspicious activity.
• Verify and authenticate your identity and prevent unauthorized or illegal activity.
• Enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
• Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
• To provide you with customer and technical support.
• Personalize Content, Advertising and Marketing
• To improve your experience on the Platform by providing personalized content, recommendations, and features.
• To customize the content and measure performance of any email, push notification, or in-app message we may send to you.
• Administer sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Musing or its partners.
• Use automated systems and decision making to profile user characteristics and infer preferences based on information that you provide to us, your interactions with the Platform and content, your profile information, and information obtained from third parties. This data may be used to create groups of users, called segments, who share similar characteristics and interests; we may use segments to serve personalized content, advertising, and marketing messages. We also may use automated systems to associate your activity over time across devices, and may associate activity and accounts under a single user ID, in order to determine that certain devices are related to each other and provide you with a personalized experience across devices and platforms.
• Ads are more effective when they are shown to people who are likely to be interested in the product or service advertised. For this reason, we may use the information we collect and receive to help us select which ads to show you on behalf of advertisers. This includes information you choose to provide to us (e.g. age and gender) and make available to us when you interact with the Platform (e.g. by listening, liking or creating playlists), as well as general location data. We may also display ads based on the page you’re on or content you have recently viewed, searched, or listened to. This allows us to show you ads that will likely be more relevant and interesting to you.
• When we engage third party services such as ad-networks and exchanges that enable us showing you targeted ads, we may also allow them to collect certain information such as cookie data and device identifiers. That information may be used to synch or match users to segments and serve targeted advertising, including based on device activity, inferred interests, and general location information.
• Combine information we collect about you with information from business partners and use it to serve more relevant advertising.
• We may use your data for other purposes, provided we disclose the purposes and use to you at the relevant time, and provided that you consent to the proposed use of your personal data.
Sharing of Your Information
This section describes how the information collected or generated through your use of the Platform may be shared by you or by us.
• Through Your Profile – Any information in your public profile (other than your email address) will be accessible by other users of the Platform, who may view your profile information, listen to and comment on any of your public audio files, add themselves to your list of followers, and send you messages. If you listen to any audio files uploaded by a Musing user, the fact that you have listened to those audio files may be shared with that Musing user, and that you are following that Musing user, so that they can track the popularity of their audio files. Similarly, if you comment on any audio files on the Platform, your comments may be available to all users of the Platform.
• With Your Consent – We will disclose your information if you have agreed that we may do so. We will make this clear to you at the point at which we collect your information, including the purpose(s) for which we will use the data.
• Service Providers – We may use a variety of third party service providers, some of who may be located outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), to provide services to us or to our users on our behalf. These service providers may have access to your information solely to perform these tasks on our behalf, and may be contractually bound to implement appropriate organizational and technical security measures to protect against unauthorized disclosure of personal data, and only to process personal data in accordance with our instructions and to the extent necessary to provide their services to us. We may need to share your information, including personal information, in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you.
• Content Partners – The Platform allows you to listen to a variety of content, including licensed streaming content from our content partners. We may share information with these content partners that license this content to help them understand how the content they provide is performing, including insights about general user listening trends and preferences. We may use technical measures to ensure the data is de-identified and/or aggregated so it does not identify you directly. We may share this data based on our legitimate interest in helping content partners deliver high performing content and to ensure the fulfillment of our contract we may have with those partners.
• Advertising – We may share the data collected about you, generally in hashed, aggregated, or de-identified forms with advertisers and advertising service providers and business partners in order to serve ads based on your interests and measure the reach and effectiveness of those ads, including whether a user took an action (e.g. purchase a product). We may also share cookie data and device identifiers with service providers for data matching purposes, in order to improve ad targeting.
• Social Media – For users outside of the EU/EEA, where permissible under applicable law, we may share your email address (in hashed form, so that it does not identify you) with Facebook in order to target you with ads for Musing products on Facebook and on third party websites and applications in the Facebook Audience Network. We may also allow Facebook and other social media platforms to collect information through cookies and similar technologies like pixels in order to serve ads for Musing on those third party websites and apps and drive users to our Platform. In order to measure the effectiveness of and optimize these marketing campaigns, these technologies track activity taken across devices after a user sees a Musing ad, in order to determine performance metrics like sign ups, visits to the Platform, and purchases. We undertake these activities based on our legitimate interest in acquiring new customers and offering products we think you may be interested in. Any questions regarding how these social media platform service provider processes your personal data should be directed to such third party platform.
• Aggregated Data – We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we render in such a way that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other pseudonominized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
• Third Party Applications – If you choose to connect your Musing® account to other apps or social networks such as Facebook and Google+ you may be sharing certain information with these apps or networks. Content that you share with Facebook may appear on your timeline and in your Facebook friends’ newsfeeds. Content you share with Google may be seen by the people from your Google+ circles when they visit your Google+ profile, make relevant Google searches, on Google-served ads, and the services selected in your Google account settings. In the case of connected apps, you will need to provide the app developer with full access to your Musing® account in order to upload and download audio files, or comment on, favorite, or repost audio files from within the app. This means sharing your public information, plus access to your private audio files. Musing is not responsible for these other apps or networks, so please make sure you only connect your account with apps or services that you trust. For information on how to control the information that you share, and how to disconnect your account from these apps, please see the Your Choices and Controls section below. If you do not want this information shared with Facebook or Google, please change your Musing Settings on our Platform or in those networks.
• Protecting our Rights – We may disclose your information if we feel this is necessary in order to protect or defend our legitimate rights and interests, or those of our users, employees, directors, officers, or shareholders, and/or to ensure the safety and security of the Platform and/or the Musing® community.
• To Our Affiliates – To enable and support us in providing the Platform and Services, we may share your information, including personal information, within Musing AB. The data sharing is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and is based on our legitimate interests in providing the Platform globally.
Cookies and Similar Technology
Musing maintains technical, administrative, and physical safeguards that are designed to prevent unauthorized access, use or disclosure of personal information we collect or store. We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted over the Internet. You use the Platform and provide us with information at your own discretion and risk.
International Data Transfers
Musing is not intended for use by children. Anyone under the age of 16 in the EEA, or 13 in the United States and the rest of the world, is not permitted to use the Platform and must not attempt to register an account or submit any personal information to us. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from any person who is under the age of 16 or 13, as the case may be, or allow them to register an account. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 16 or 13, as applicable, we will delete this information as quickly as possible. If you have reason to believe that we may have collected any such personal data, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Choices and Controls
We do our best to give you as much choice as possible regarding the amount of information you provide to us, and the control you have over that information.
• Managing Musing Settings. If you register an account, you may manage the content and information you share when you use Musing through your account Settings, including for the features explained below. You are solely responsible for keeping your Settings up-to-date.
• Email – You can adjust your Settings in the Notification tab to disable email and desktop notifications (other than important service updates and essential notifications about the Platform or your account). All commercial emails and newsletters also allow you to unsubscribe at any time.
• Analytics – To control whether we collect analytics and usage information, including through cookies and similar technologies, you can adjust your Settings in the “Analytics” tab.
• Marketing – If you do not want to receive personalized ads, offers or other marketing messages for Musing products or services, you can adjust your Settings in the “Communications” tab.
• Advertising – If you do not want Musing to deliver “interest based” or personalized ads for third party products, you can adjust your settings in the “Advertising” tab. Please note, however, that even if you opt out of personalized ads, you may still see ads, but they will likely not be as relevant or useful to you.
• Content Sharing – It’s not possible to make your account entirely private. However, you do have the option to make all of your tracks, playlists and other uploads private. This means that no one will be able to access and listen to your audio files without your explicit permission. You can learn more about these settings here.
• Third Party Apps – If you have chosen to connect your account to a third-party application, like Facebook or Google, you can disable permission for the app by adjusting your Settings in the “Connections” tab.
• Third Party Developers – Musing® may in the future have an open API, which allows third party developers to build some really cool apps as an extension of the Platform. If you would prefer that your audio files are not made available to third party app developers, you can disable API access within the sound page for each of the audio files that you upload. Click on the pencil icon in the waveform player, and uncheck the “Apps enabled” box at the bottom of the page. Please note that your public profile information will still be accessible, but this does not include anything that is not publicly available on the Website.
• Managing Device Settings
• On your mobile device, enable the “Limit Ad Tracking” setting in your iOS phone’s settings, or the setting to “Opt out of Ads Personalization” in your Android phone’s settings. To opt-out of location tracking when using our Apps, you can use the settings of your device. You can disable mobile analytics and bug reporting through these same settings as well.
• Managing Browser Settings
• To control cookies, you can modify your settings in most web browsers to accept or deny cookies or to request your permission each time a site attempts to set a cookie. You can also manually delete previously stored cookies at any time. Please note that if you choose to block cookies, doing so may impair the Platform or prevent certain elements of it from functioning.
• Additional Choices and Controls
• For more information about analytics and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page, or http://youronlinechoices.eu.
Exercising Your Rights
In some jurisdictions, including the EU/EEA, you may exercise any of the rights described in this section through the email@example.com. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
• Data Access and Portability
• You may be entitled to request copies of your personal information held by us. While a lot of the personal information you provide to us can be accessed in your account Settings, you may also be entitled to request copies of personal information you have provided to us in machine-readable format.
• Change or Correct Data
• Where you cannot update data yourself through an account, you have the right to ask us to correct change, update or rectify your data.
• Data Retention and Deletion
• We generally retain data for as long as your account is in existence or as needed to provide the Platform. However, specific retention times can vary based on context of the processing we perform and on our legal obligations.
• You have the right to ask us to delete all or some of the personal data we hold about you. If you have an account, you can also delete your account through the Settings at any time as described below.
• We may need to retain some of your personal data even after you have closed your account if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, or where we have a legitimate interest in doing so (e.g. to prevent fraud and abuse and maintain and enhance security).
• Objection to Processing
• You may object to processing your personal information in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the information to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the information for direct marketing).
• If you object to such processing Musing will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or obligations.
• Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, under certain circumstances, ask Musing to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes.
• Restriction of Processing
• Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information.
• Withdrawing Consent
• Where you provide consent to the processing of your personal information by Musing, you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your account Settings or by sending a communication to Musing specifying the specific consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal.
You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities carried out by Musing before a competent data protection authority.
Last Amended: 25 October 2018